Welcome to Virginia Redistricting Commission
The responsibility of drawing maps for congressional and state legislative districts passed from the Virginia Redistricting Commission (VRC) to the Supreme Court of Virginia (SCV) in November 2021. The Supreme Court (SCV) completed redistricting in December 2021.
View the 2021 final House, Senate, and Congressional maps approved by the Supreme Court of Virginia
Download shapefiles and block equivalency files for 2021 final House, Senate, and Congressional districts approved by the Supreme Court of Virginia (.zip file)
Following action by the Virginia General Assembly, on November 3, 2020, Virginia residents voted to amend the state’s Constitution to authorize the establishment of the Virginia Redistricting Commission.
The Commission was established for the sole purpose of developing maps for Virginia’s state legislative districts and districts for the U.S. House of Representatives, which is currently underway.
In years past, redistricting was accomplished through the normal state legislative process -- bills outlining the districts were introduced, considered and passed by a majority of both the Virginia Senate and House of Delegates, and were signed by the Governor, with the legislature drawing the maps.
With the 2020 change to Virginia’s Constitution, now the Commission will draw the maps for the General Assembly to approve.
If the Commission fails to produce redistricting plans or the General Assembly fails to approve the Commission's redistricting plans, then districts will be established by the Supreme Court of Virginia.
* The integrity and priority of existing political subdivisions should be preserved to the extent possible by avoiding unnecessary divisions of those subdivisions.
* Districts must have clearly defined and clearly discernible boundaries.
* Districts must be reasonably compact, as compared with existing political subdivisions.
* October 1, 2021, 9:00 a.m. -- Register here before Noon on 9/30/21.
* October 2, 2021, 9:00 a.m. -- Register here before Noon on 10/1/21.
* October 9, 2021 *tentative*
* October 11, 2021, 8:00 a.m. – Register here before Noon on 10/10/21.
* October 14, 2021, 8:00 a.m. -- Register here before Noon on 10/13/21.
* October 18, 2021, 8:00 a.m. -- Register here before Noon on 10/17/21.
* October 20, 2021, 8:00 a.m. -- Register here before Noon on 10/19/21.
* October 25, 2021, 8:00 a.m. -- Register here before Noon on 10/24/21.